Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

DON'T FORGET

I remember the day as being a beautiful day..... the sky was so blue and the air was crisp. Just like today is outside. We had just returned home from Indiana where we had visited family. I was doing some housework, Hannah was playing on the floor and my mother called to tell me to turn the tv on, that something horrible had happened in New York..... I hollered to Gary to come watch as I pushed the ON button on the remote.

"omg... how horrible... what a terrible accident, " I remember thinking. Suddenly, another plane slammed into a tower. Shock and disbelief at what I just saw surged through me. "What are the odds of two planes having an accident at the same location?" I asked Gary. He said "Sheri, This is no accident. Someone is deliberately doing this." I couldn't begin to understand what he was saying to me.

And so began my vigil of being glued to the tv screen for the next hours, days, weeks as our country attempted to figure out what happened and why.

Today, I light a candle in remembrance of all those people lost that day. Lives, dreams, hopes....gone. I won't ever forget.

In 2006, I participated in a huge blogging project honoring each person lost on 9/11/01. It was amazing to read all of the entries. More about the project can be learned here and my tribute to Joseph John Pycior Jr. is here.

This made me cry too.


1 comment:

lime said...

who could have imagined what devastation waited for us on that beautiful morning?