Thursday, January 04, 2007

I'm dreaming of.....TEXAS!

I've been under the weather for a couple days now with an intestinal thing (I won't go into the gory details) and a sore back. Today I am feeling a little better but am taking one more day from work just to be sure.

There's really not too much going on to talk about. We still have no snow.... not a single flake on the ground. Nothing is frozen.... there is no safe ice in Maine right now. It's been the strangest weather I've ever seen.

We are so excited for our San Antonio trip in April. We've bought our tickets and the hotel room is booked and paid for...... now we just hurry up and wait for April to get here. We are staying at the Holiday Inn at Market Square and will be spending alot of time here:











and drinking many of these:








There is a place called the Market Square which is very close to our hotel. It's a historic, large indoor/outdoor market that was developed in the 1820's that blends the rich Spanish and Mexican heritage found in San Antonio. I'm sure many of the items that we have bought in Mexico can be found here as well. We look forward to eating at Mi Tierra Cafe. Gary can have his Cabrito with Corona and Hannah and I will gorge on Quesadilla.
We have always enjoyed the Tex/Mex and Mexican foods immensely!

As for venturing into Mexico for a day trip, that is not going to happen. There has been some concerns about drug cartel and gang wars going on in Nuevo Laredo, which is a huge border town, and the closest one to San Antonio.

As stated in a recent bulletin from the Bulletin from the U.S. Dept of State "This Public Announcement alerts U.S. citizens to the rising level of brutal violence in areas of Mexico. This violence has occurred throughout Mexico, but has been particularly persistent in the city of Nuevo Laredo within the state of Tamaulipas. This Public Announcement expires on March 15, 2007. U.S. citizens residing and traveling in Mexico should exercise extreme caution when in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Public sources suggest that narcotics-related violence has claimed 1,500 lives in Mexico this year. In recent months there have been execution-style murders of Mexican and U.S. citizens in Tamaulipas (particularly Nuevo Laredo), Michoacan, Baja California, Guerrero, and other states." Um, ok....thank you very much.. I'll stay on the United States side of things. As much as I love and adore Mexico, I love and adore my family and life more.

I can seriously picture Gary and I living our retirement winters in Texas and summer, spring and fall in Maine. The best of both worlds. Now, if I can just figure out how to win Powerball, I can see this happening sooner rather than later!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. Your trip to San Antionio sounds wonderful.

We went before we were married and loved it.

lime said...

man, i thought WE were having a mild winter.... i can believe you guys haven't even seen snow.

ccw said...

Sounds wonderful!

I cannot wait for the summer to go on vacation. However, I'll skip Texas. I've been there, briefly lived there, and saw enough.

Joel said...

Sorry about your illness...hope you feel better soon...and do tell me if you figure out how to win the powerball...I will go for it the NEXT week!

Sharpie said...

No snow in CT either - WTF!?!?!

It's not right.

San Antonio sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Nuevo Laredo Chamber of Commerce has its work cut out for it.

Cylithria Dubois said...

Hey lady sounds like a blast - hope your 2007 is going great. Since it is National Delurking weke I had to swing over here, delurk and say Hiya!!!! (((sheri))))

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun vacation. Especailly the food and drink part ;-)!!