Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Today's Hot Musings

Not too much to talk about today. I've been doing alot of reading on other blogs. What a diverse world we live in. So many different people out there, talking about what's important to them. Today, I want to talk about heat. Probably because it's so friggin' cold out. It was a big whopping -7 this morning and it's already risen to -1! A virtual heatwave. Back to the heat.....a blog I was reading mentioned how her parents could tell when she had touched the thermostat even by one degree. This brought back some memories! My dad used to watch and monitor our thermostat like a hawk. I do think he could tell the difference in one degree as well. I was always moving the temperature to my liking, partly because my name was "GET WOOD". With three (yes 3!) woodstoves going full time from September - April, we use ALOT of wood. All I did was lug wood. Everytime I turned around that woodbox needed wood. We couldn't have a small, neat woodbox either. It had to be one of gigantic proportions, able to store a cord at a time (hauled mostly by yours truly). My brother, Shawn, and I would have these contraptions rigged up to make our wood hauling experience more enjoyable and easier. Most times involved a snowmobile, rope, a toboggan and lots of fighting. It usually turned into a competition to see who could carry the most woithout dropping a piece. Dad would walk by the thermostat and turn and go back to it and scream "Who turned the heat up?" Of course, we would all scatter like prairie dogs that have seen a dingo and not answer him. He'd continue to go on a tirade about the cost of oil, he's not made of money and blah, blah, blah. Now that I pay for my own heat I can understand his frustration. However, at the time it was fodder for some good laughs!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Hah Hah Hah. I know exactly how you feel. :) I'm more adpt now to put on a pair of socks or some extra layers. Our gas bill in the winter can be brutal.

It's snowing here right now, so I know it's freezing outside.

Anonymous said...

My dad used to do that too (he's old now so his house is always hot enough to melt candles), I now have such an aversion to "wood" that I refuse to touch it. We have a wood stove in our basement for emergencies, but I do NOT do wood any more! Melody

Sandi said...

Beautiful bright blue day. A lovely 68 degrees, will probably be around 79 degrees today. Don't ya just hate me right now?
Well if it counts I still remember lugging wood, and shoveling, and shoveling, and shoveling... LOL
That is why I now live where I can walk on the warm sand year round.
See you soon...

Sue said...

Hee Hee! Nice posting. I remember one time you thought you'd scare me while I was getting wood. It was dark and I went down under the barn to get my wood, while you hid at the top of the driveway. You jumped out and yelled at me, scaring the beejeezus out of me, and I threw the load of wood at your face! Well you started bawling, and I felt really bad for hitting you in the face with a pile of logs.
Another thing I remember is bugging Dad to let me use the chainsaw. It seemed to me like it would be more fun to run the chainsaw than it was to split and pile the wood. And I kept it up " please, please, please" So I finally wore him down and he said I could cut up the pile of wood, but he said I had to do it all and not quit. I said "no problem". Well that was a mistake! My arms were killing me, and of course I couldn't admit my error in judgement to Dad, or I would have never heard the end of it. Needless to say, I never asked to use a chainsaw again!
Some solace to you, as cold as it is down there, it is always colder here! Have a great day!

Loki's Concubine said...

Bwahah I know that feeling! My Dad is the same way... and yet it drives me crazy because he insists on jacking the heater up when it's not that cold and won't turn it on when it is freezing. Such a warped old man!

I wish we had a fireplace. But I suppose I should be glad we don't b/c that means no wood for us to chop. ;)

Anonymous said...

How funny...we used to call my dad the "Heat Miser".

Now that we live in Florida the heat is rarely on.

Great post!

Cheryl
http://suchaprettyface.typepad.com